Monday, March 12, 2012

Everyday Adventures

When I hear the word "adventure", the first images that pop into my head are activities that involve danger...




Like jumping off the top of a waterfall, a favorite of action movie heroes when they go outdoors...


I like adventure too. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm open to trying stuff that involve a bit of "risk" in terms of bodily harm.


My problem with that though, is most of the highly-recommended adventure tours require too much money and more importantly... time. 


I thoroughly enjoyed my attempts at surfing, white water rafting, hiking, skydiving (okay, not the real deal but a simulated one). But I wasn't too thrilled with the 5-hour land travel, long waits at the airport, and overall "going out of my way" just for the experience.


How about finding and enjoying "adventures" in everyday life?


For example, taking a simple pedicab or padyak ride is a thrill in itself, especially if you happen to be lucky enough to catch a ride with one of those, uhm, experts. They feel and act as if they own the road, weaving their way through traffic. They play chicken with other cars, driving full-speed into oncoming vehicles without flinching, knowing that the other drivers would "chicken out" and avoid them... at the last possible moment!


For non-Iliganons, the tartanilla in Iligan is also a frightening ride, especially when 3 other people ride with you at the back (and most especially if they're heavyweights). The poor horse is practically lifted up because of the "counterweight" load on the cart.




Another adventure I miss is the hang-on-for-dear-life game. I used to play this game with my classmates back in college. During those days, jeepneys were hard to come by during rush hour, and there were very few alternative modes of transportation. 


There were four of us living in the same area, and we want to get home as soon as possible. So, as impatient youngsters, we would hop on the very first jeepney heading to our destination. More often than not, this is what happens...


Because of this game, we had the meanest forearms and toughest hand grips in the class.


These are simple examples of "thinking inside the box" adventures, proof that you don't have to go to far and exotic (i.e. expensive) places to experience thrills.


Oh, and you might need these when you're out there, for your own protection, plus points for coolness...









No comments:

Post a Comment